Newzik Web allows you to mark up your sheet music using a set of annotation tools.
To start annotating, click on the Annotate button at the top-right corner of the screen. Click on "Done" to exit annotation mode.
Select a tool by clicking on its icon in the right side panel, or by using its assigned keyboard shortcut (A for selection, S for symbols, T for text, P for pencil and L for layers).
Use the pencil tool to draw annotations on the page. You can create as many pencils as you wish by clicking on "Add pencil", and set their color, size and opacity by clicking the "more" button.
Use the symbols tool to mark up your music using pre-made symbols. Select a symbol in the list, set its size and color using the controls at the top of the panel, then click on the page to stamp it.
Your last used symbols will appear in the recents list.
Use the text tool to write text on the pages. Choose a color and font size, then click anywhere on the page to add a text box and start writing.
Use the handles on the sides of the text box to resize it.
Select any annotation element using the selection tool.
Click an element to select it, then:
- Edit its size and color using the controls in the side panel
- Adjust its position on the page by grabbing it and dragging it with your mouse
- Duplicate it by clicking on "Duplicate" at the bottom of the side panel
- Delete it by hitting backspace on your keyboard or clicking on "Delete" at the bottom of the side panel
- Copy/paste it using your keyboard shortcuts or your browser menu
The last created element will be selected by default when activating the selection tool.
Use annotation layers to group your markings into independent layers that can be hidden and revealed at will.
By default, a layer titled after your username will be automatically created when you first enter annotation mode on a given part.
To create additional layers, click on "Add layer" in the side panel. Click on the eye icon to hide or reveal a layer, and click on the pencil icon to edit its name.
Click on a layer to select it. When a layer is selected, all new annotations will be contained in that layer.
The name of the current active layer is displayed in the top left-hand corner in annotation mode.
To duplicate or delete a layer, click on the "more" button. Deleting a layer will erase all annotations it contains.
There must always be at least one editable layer on a part. If your part only contains one layer, you will not be able to delete it.
In projects, click on the "more" button of a layer to set its privacy level:
- Private: only the owner of the layer (i.e. its creator) can view and edit it. The other members of the project will not see the layer in their layers panel.
- Public: a Public layer can be viewed by all members of the project, but no one except its owner can edit it. The owner of the layer will be the only one allowed to annotate it.
- Shared: a Shared layer can be viewed and edited by all members of the project anyone can display it and annotate it.
When they are created, layers are Private by default. As an added layer of security, the deletion of a layer is only allowed for its owner, no matter what sharing level is selected.